Archive for - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Croeso i fforwm Abertyleri ar y we

For the old board click here
 


       - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
Eddie legge

Bilingualism

Was it a bad day for bilingualism in Wales when as reported on BBC Wales News a councillor from Portmadoc refused to attend the opening of a new £36 million by- pass road because the invitation from Cardiff was not in Welsh?
I have said before it will be a sad day if Welsh speakers distance themselves further from the English speaking Welsh
A prime example while the councillor in question could read the invitation in English he stayed away because it was not in Welsh
How much of taxpayers money is spent each year on the printing of bilingual census forms when less than 3% of the said forms were returned in Welsh
Can anyone justify the £millions of pounds spent yearly on bilingualism when child poverty in Wales is highest in the UK and what about doctorís nurses and teachers are they not more important? Than the £millions of pounds wasted on the printing of bilingual forms that are never read
Eddie Legge
martyn142

Before you start worrying about bilingualism I'd focus on mastering your first language.
Eddie legge

Taking the micky

Come orf it Martyn who said I was worried
do you aff to take the piss because a person
dont speak tiredly
Ian

[quote]Come orf it Martyn who said I was worried
do you aff to take the piss because a person
dont speak tiredly

Has Eddie finally developed a sense of humour Laughing or not worked out how to use a spell check yet.

Om Bilingualism Eddie we live in wales if your not Welsh or not proud of your heritage I personally feel your in a minority.Protecting this heritage including the language I for one don't feel is a waste of money. †
martyn142

You are not speaking Eddie, you are writing.

This is an internet forum where the only means of communication is writing (and reading). Since you are completely unable to put into words whatever it is you have on your mind I'd say this was a disadvantage.

Some people have poor spelling and grammar which I don't have a problem with. However, you have a problem putting a coherent sentence together. This clearly isn't the best medium to express yourself.
Saeson

Re: Bilingualism

Eddie legge wrote:
Was it a bad day for bilingualism in Wales when as reported on BBC Wales News a councillor from Portmadoc refused to attend the opening of a new £36 million by- pass road because the invitation from Cardiff was not in Welsh?
I have said before it will be a sad day if Welsh speakers distance themselves further from the English speaking Welsh
A prime example while the councillor in question could read the invitation in English he stayed away because it was not in Welsh
How much of taxpayers money is spent each year on the printing of bilingual census forms when less than 3% of the said forms were returned in Welsh
Can anyone justify the £millions of pounds spent yearly on bilingualism when child poverty in Wales is highest in the UK and what about doctorís nurses and teachers are they not more important? Than the £millions of pounds wasted on the printing of bilingual forms that are never read
Eddie Legge


The Welsh language eh, Eddie? What took you so long? When things are going bad let`s hang it all on that convenient hook.

Firstly, the councillor from Porthmadog (note the spelling Eddie) had every right to stay away from the opening for whatever reason he chose. Secondly, it`s one thing for, say, Monmouthshire Council to `forget` to issue bilingual invites, but we`re talking Gwynedd here. You know, the Welsh speaking `heartland` that people like you say is the only place for the Welsh language. I guess even that`s wrong now? And who exactly are the `English speaking Welsh`? I guess that would be, er, everybody?

By the way, how much are your chums down the Bay spending on the Heads of the Valleys road? Bet that`d buy a few nurses.
martyn142

I worked at Coleg Harlech for a while back in the early 90s and I was amazed at just how much Welsh is spoken as a first language. I had expected it to be just in the small rural villages but in the bigger towns of Harlech, Porthmadog, Blaenau, etc it was very prevalent.
Eddie legge

Spelling and Grammar

Martyn and his brigade of grizzling we donít
Like Eddies spelling or grammar
It is a fact I am not that good at spelling or grammar
Your sarcastic comments do not really matter
Unlike some I do not have an ego that bruises easily  
How many people on Facebook care about poor?
Spelling and grammar not many
Eddie trying his best Legge
martyn142

Re: Spelling and Grammar

Eddie legge wrote:
Martyn and his brigade of grizzling we donít
Like Eddies spelling or grammar
It is a fact I am not that good at spelling or grammar
Your sarcastic comments do not really matter
Unlike some I do not have an ego that bruises easily †
How many people on Facebook care about poor?
Spelling and grammar not many
Eddie trying his best Legge


It appears that you can't read either. I specifically said that spelling and grammar mistakes don't bother me on a message board. What I dislike about the vast majority of your messages is not the spelling and grammatical errors, but that I haven't got a Scooby Doo what you are trying to say.

I know I'm going to regret asking this as I won't understand a word of your reply, but where does Facebook come into this?  Rolling Eyes
Ian

Eddie,if you don't have an ego that bruises easily why do you keep posting replies trying to explain or justify yourself:?
Carolyn

Re: Spelling and Grammar

martyn142 wrote:
Eddie legge wrote:
Martyn and his brigade of grizzling we donít
Like Eddies spelling or grammar
It is a fact I am not that good at spelling or grammar
Your sarcastic comments do not really matter
Unlike some I do not have an ego that bruises easily †
How many people on Facebook care about poor?
Spelling and grammar not many
Eddie trying his best Legge


It appears that you can't read either. I specifically said that spelling and grammar mistakes don't bother me on a message board. What I dislike about the vast majority of your messages is not the spelling and grammatical errors, but that I haven't got a Scooby Doo what you are trying to say.

I know I'm going to regret asking this as I won't understand a word of your reply, but where does Facebook come into this? †Rolling Eyes




His friends don't moan about his spelling and grammar and he don't complain about theirs  Question
Carolyn

Re: Bilingualism

Saeson wrote:
Eddie legge wrote:
Was it a bad day for bilingualism in Wales when as reported on BBC Wales News a councillor from Portmadoc refused to attend the opening of a new £36 million by- pass road because the invitation from Cardiff was not in Welsh?
I have said before it will be a sad day if Welsh speakers distance themselves further from the English speaking Welsh
A prime example while the councillor in question could read the invitation in English he stayed away because it was not in Welsh
How much of taxpayers money is spent each year on the printing of bilingual census forms when less than 3% of the said forms were returned in Welsh
Can anyone justify the £millions of pounds spent yearly on bilingualism when child poverty in Wales is highest in the UK and what about doctorís nurses and teachers are they not more important? Than the £millions of pounds wasted on the printing of bilingual forms that are never read
Eddie Legge


The Welsh language eh, Eddie? What took you so long? When things are going bad let`s hang it all on that convenient hook.


Nothing new there Saeson  Laughing

Rocke

One for my manifesto I think.................

I once saw a job advertised in a UK-wide weekly Local Govt publication that went something like:

"Y cyngor ( lots of Welsh..... ) COBOL, SCL, IDMSX ( Welsh... ) TPMS a DSPD. " Hopefully you get the meaning.

I sent off my CV with a covering letter which said:

'Dear Sir/Madam,

I find it interesting that your mainframes still talk in English. Since as your Senior Programmer I would spend most of my time talking to them I have enclosed my CV, just in case.'

Words to that effect anyway.

Strange thing is, on two working episodes abroad I made a decision to learn the language of probably the most English (language ) friendly country in the world, The Netherlands.
When in Rome - er Maastricht and all that.
Eddie legge

Help the poor and sad

There is no thread of kindliness
In Forums dark domain
The legend said they did once care
Shall they come to good again?
Pray let my heart be strong
Like the rivers running free
Donít let it overflow
With tears of sympathy
In reasons ear they say
Let us stop this silly game
Whoever cried Tis Spartacus?
Of ever lasting fame
The bravest of the brave
Hang your head in shame

Eddie keep trying Legge
Carolyn

I did not write the article Eddie  Rolling Eyes

Never tickle a sleeping dragon
Rocke

I note one thing Carolyn.

The writer used English to get his message across.

Do Plaid Candidates do Welsh and/or bilingual manifestos I wonder ?

       - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum