Archive for - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Croeso i fforwm Abertyleri ar y we

For the old board click here

       - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
Eddie legge

We should all know about

By Kara Gammell2:36PM BST 09 May 20123 Comments
Nearly nine in 10 consumers are unaware that there is financial help available from the Government should their spouse die, according to new research by RGA.
"Most bereaved people do not realise they are entitled to any benefit," said Richard Thomas, executive chairman of Red Arc Assured. "Part of the problem is that, understandably, many bereaved people tend to close themselves off, and can only get to learn about the benefit when we, or perhaps a charity, tell them."
Yet about 41,000 bereaved partners receive benefit payments that can continue for up to 20 years to help them raise their children and cover household bills after losing a spouse.
If your husband, wife or civil partner has died, you may qualify for a bereavement payment which is a tax-free, one-off, lump-sum payment of 2,000.
If you are under the age of 65 and your spouse or civil partner had paid their National Insurance contributions (Nics) or their death was caused by their job, you will be eligible.
Where your holiday pounds go further 09 May 2012
Water firms let off leak targets 'to spare higher bills' 09 May 2012
Comparison websites 'break the law' over disabled users 07 May 2012
Give to charity at a cash machine 08 May 2012
Sally West at Age UK, said: "The payment is mainly paid to people under state pension age but can go to people who have reached state pension age in some limited circumstances. For example if someone is a pensioner but their spouse orcivil partners has not yet reached state pension age."
The state pays bereavement allowance to recently widowed spouses and civil partners. If your husband, wife or civil partner dies when you are over 45 but under state pension age you may be entitled to bereavement allowance.
This benefit is paid for 52 weeks after death, the amount you get depending on how much NI contributions they had paid in their lifetime and your age. Maximum weekly payments are 31.79 for a 45 year-old, rising to 105.95 for those between 55 and state pension age.
If you're a parent whose husband, wife or civil partner has died and you have at least one child who you receive child benefit for, you may be able to get widowed parent's allowance (WPA). You may also qualify if your husband, wife or civil partner died as a result of their work even if they didn't pay NICs.
The maximum basic allowance of the widowed parent's benefit is 105.95 a week. This is a regular, taxable payment for men or women under pension age who have been bereaved and have dependent children (or, in the case of women, if they're pregnant).
If your spouse or civil partner met the NI contributions conditions, the full rate is payable. If not, you receive a proportion, unless they died of an industrial injury or disease.
You cannot be paid widowed parent's allowance and bereavement allowance at the same time. A bereavement payment can be paid in addition to widowed parent's allowance or bereavement allowance.
If you are a cohabitating couple, no matter what the length of the relationship, you are not entitled to bereavement benefits nor will you qualify if you are divorced from your husband or wife when they died, or you and your civil partner had dissolved your civil partnership.
If you remarry or register another civil partnership you will no longer be eligible and your payments will stop. Even if you do not remarry or register another civil partnership, you cannot get bereavement benefits if you live with another partner.
Bereavement allowance and widowed parent's allowance cannot be paid after state pension age.
When you reach state pension age, and if you haven't remarried or formed a civil partnership, you'll be entitled to a pension, as long as your late spouse or civil partner satisfied NI contributions or died as a result of an industrial injury or disease. You could qualify for a pension based on your own NI contributions and your spouse or civil partner's record, if that would give you a higher state pension.
You can order a bereavement benefits claim pack (form BB1) over the telephone from your nearest Jobcentre Plus office. The pack also has help notes on how to complete the claim form.



PS surely he's used his diskspace allowance ?


       - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum