Archive for - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Croeso i fforwm Abertyleri ar y we

For the old board click here
 


       - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
kdwent

Well done Blaenau Gwent Council

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/...llors_approve_Blaenau_Gwent_cuts/

Well done BG council taking away yet another much needed facility. In a borough with so much going for it we really don't need a cinema  after all there is so much else to do in Blaenau Gwent, like travelling to Newport or Cwmbran to go to the cinema.

Perhaps Hedley McCarthy would like to explain this quote,
'We do not see this as the closure of the cinema, we see it as the start of keeping it open."  because I would say that this is a closure full stop.

Here's a radical idea, how about our con sellers (not a spelling mistake) taking a cut in their allowances, because I do not see this as the closure of the cinema, I would see it as the start of keeping it open.
martyn142

I can't see the point bothering being in local politics if all you do is carry out the Tories dirty work for them. Where is their self-respect?
kdwent

Well said Martyn.  True blue the lot of them.  
I remember the days when Labour councillors were willing to fight for us, now they roll over as soon as their political masters snap their fingers.
kdwent

What's the betting that Wetherspoons have already drawn plans up for the place
stoob

Nothing wrong with Spoons, they bring pub landlords into the real world. Abertillery town centre bars had to compete or shut and they have dropped their prices accordingly.
When people mention banks and utility companies add the LVA the biggest rip off people in Abertillery for decades.
kdwent

Agree with you stood.

However I am just trying to show what a useless bunch this council are, have a look at the link and read McCarthy's comments.  
There are plenty of pubs around this borough but not too many cinemas.
kdwent

Agree with you stoob

However I am just trying to show what a useless bunch this council are, have a look at the link and read McCarthy's comments.  
There are plenty of pubs around this borough but not too many cinemas.
stoob

There will be a new one in Ebbw Vale and theatre.....goodbye Beaufort Ballroom.
martyn142

So Eddie how do you feel about the Labour council closing all of our community-based facilities and moving them all to the steelworks site? If they close the ballroom they really should feel deeply ashamed. What's next for their axe? The Met?
joebloggs1

I think that we have to stop thinking about this move as a malicious act on the town. The bottom line, as with any business, is that if there is not enough revenue being generated it becomes unsustainable for anyone, or in this case the local authority to support - especially in times of such austerity.
So the only other possible option was to raise the price per ticket, which would have inevitably pushed even more custom away from the business.
I highly disagree that a 'cut' in councillors would have facilitated the loss that the cinema was making month after month, which would have meant a stretch on other much more needed (and important) budgets such as social services etc.

I agree completely that it is a sad time for Blaenau Gwent and that the cinema is an enormous part of our heritage but it is a sure sign of the times - it seems the only way to compete in today's hectic marketplace is to be part of a big company with centralised purchasing systems and budgets to sustain slower branches.

For this we only have ourselves to blame - not Blaenau Gwent council or councillors.

And in my opinion I think a Whetherspoons would be good for town. At least more people will use that facility than the cinema. It would also bring around 20+ jobs to the town which at the minute are much needed.
martyn142

To be fair, your judgement is clouded a bit by being a local Labour councillor though.
kdwent

martyn142 wrote:
To be fair, your judgement is clouded a bit by being a local Labour councillor though.


Get away. What makes you think that lol
Rocke

martyn142 wrote:
To be fair, your judgement is clouded a bit by being a local Labour councillor though.


I bet the Public Services Ombudsman would be interested to know that !
kdwent

Bet you that it had already been decided what was going to happen to the cinema a long time before we were told.
Some of the comments posted by Jo bloggs sound like they come from someone who already knows the outcome.

By the way welcome back Rocke.
Rocke

kdwent wrote:
Bet you that it had already been decided what was going to happen to the cinema a long time before we were told.
Some of the comments posted by Jo bloggs sound like they come from someone who already knows the outcome.

By the way welcome back Rocke.


Thanks.
I'm warming up  Wink

My war with a council not too far from here is ended. I've retired and the devil could surely find some work for these idle fingers.
I did intend to leave it for a year and then look back on the progress made. However, that's bye-the-bye.

If I remember rightly, the cinema was the cause of anxiety about 18 months or so ago when I was part of the council's Budget Working Group.
It was however deemed to be too important an amenity and part of Brynmawr's heritage not to be supported.

It's a pity Cllr Sutton's overriding priority is to follow the party line rather than his constituents' wishes (and of course electors/patrons throughout the Borough).

My wife and I watched Skyfall last October in a cinema complex in Stratford-on-Avon, where we happened to be on a break.
2 screens, each auditorium holding around 150-200.
Effectively a social enterprise, run by cinema lovers. It doesn't seem to have problems with finance.
Spot the difference.
Saeson

joebloggs1 wrote:
And in my opinion I think a Whetherspoons would be good for town. At least more people will use that facility than the cinema. It would also bring around 20+ jobs to the town which at the minute are much needed.


And Bargain Booze; dont forget them. And Ladbrokes - can`t have too many in my view. Aspiration, that`s what I like to see.  Rolling Eyes
martyn142

Saeson wrote:
joebloggs1 wrote:
And in my opinion I think a Whetherspoons would be good for town. At least more people will use that facility than the cinema. It would also bring around 20+ jobs to the town which at the minute are much needed.


And Bargain Booze; dont forget them. And Ladbrokes - can`t have too many in my view. Aspiration, that`s what I like to see.  Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately this councillor hasn't given us his name so you won't know who to reward with your vote for such out-of-the-box thinking Saeson.  Crying or Very sad
Rocke

What makes you think it's a councillor Martyn ?

It could be 'Eddie Legge'.

Ahhhh, I get your point now.
DURRRRRR!    Confused

       - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum