- Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum -
Croeso i fforwm Abertyleri ar y we

For the old board click here

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Join! (free)
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

All in this together
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie jones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: All in this together  Reply with quote

Were all in this together http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/...ouncillors_look_set_for_pay_rise/
Rocke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: All in this together Reply with quote

eddie jones wrote:
Were all in this together http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/...ouncillors_look_set_for_pay_rise/

So, if "we're all in this together" why aren't a proportion of BG councillors being made redundant, as are the workforce?

Oh - and it's an INDEPENDANT panel. It's not councillors saying 'we will only take a small increase' - but I bet they will.

Time will tell (and when it does rest assured that I will).

PS don't give up the day job. You're the best way to The Party's heart I've got, and I'm sure that once Aberystwyth Al's PR boys have ruled you inept for giving me a stage you will be out of your self-appointed role as chief propagandist for er...... this forum.

After all, they don't trust you with media duties do they?

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
stoob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: All in this together Reply with quote

The gravy train is full of councillors and their trusted executives, no room for ground workers.
martyn142

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many are being made redundant?
Rocke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn142 wrote:

Councillors, 'executives' or workers Martyn?

In fact, there was a proposal 2 or 3 years back to reduce the number of BG councillors by 11.
The council's been bloated (2nd highest number of councillors per elector in Wales) since it came into being as a result of Reorganisation.
Bringing the level to the average of Wales (approx 1 councillor per 2,500 electors) from its current of 1 per 1,400 approx would cut ten wards from 3 to 2 (good job) and one ward from 2 to 1 (which is a bit daft to be honest).

I suspect the first set of elections to Caerphilly Greater Council will bring that in.

'Executives' will clearly go.
Unlike Reorganisation where Town Clerks etc. simply got jobs as other, newly created Chief Officers such as Head of Housing, Head of Management Services etc. there won't be any such opportunities this time.
I'd therefore expect Caerphilly's Chief Exec to retain his position and BG's to find another or opt for Early Retirement under whatever rules will be in place for loss of office due to restructuring (as this will no doubt be put over).

As for the workers, I've heard figures of 160+ bandied about.

I know that 11 catering staff were handed P45's instead of Christmas Cards in Dec 2012. I gather 60-odd Leisure staff were in fear of their jobs over Christmas last year (and 30-odd arte to go apparently).
They of course won't have the benefit of compensatory schemes due to 'Restructuring'.
Cllr McCarthy and his band of working class championing sheep will have made the decision to throw them on the scrapheap before their Labour mates down the bay do.
T Bone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an absolute disgrace. Who are these independent people, are they morons?

Even the smallest rise is a humiliation for all the council employees (mostly front-line staff) who face an uncertain future/redundancy, with another £10 million savings to be made next year.
There are hundreds of thousands of hard working people in this country who haven’t had a pay rise for a number of years yet with the increase in energy prices, petrol and the general cost of living, this is like having a 5% to 10% cut in their wage packet.

They use to say that pensioners are afraid to put on their heating for fear of their heating bill, but this seems to affect every one of us now.

When you pay for a service and you think you are not getting value for money, you are well within your rights to take your customer elsewhere. Unfortunately we have no option but to stick with the same old tried and trusted failures.    

Any self respecting Councillor would refuse this pay rise out of principle.
eddie jones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T Bone wrote:
What an absolute disgrace. Who are these independent people, are they morons

rocke is an independent

Last edited by eddie jones on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The independent Members' Remuneration Panel work within a fairly limited framework unfortunately.

Basically the rule is that councillors work 25 hours per week on average, so their 'pay' is linked to AMs' salaries (pro-rata).

Additionally, there's a 'public service discount' which takes account of the 'fact' that anyone who wants to be a councillor wants to do the job more out of public spirit than for financial gain, and hence would accept only 75% of the pro-rata AM salary (ie. a 25% 'discount').

Hence a basic £13,000-odd against Alun 'Aberystwyth Al' Davies AM's wad (plus expenses of course).
martyn142

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocke wrote:
martyn142 wrote:

Councillors, 'executives' or workers Martyn?

I was referring to Keyboard Warrior eddie's assertion that we are all in this together Rockey. I don't see any of People's Party heroes losing their jobs, unlike the staff they are throwing out of work.

Right on brothers!  Embarassed
Rocke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessed that Martyn, but it did provide me with an opening !  Very Happy
Eddie legge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: We are all in this Reply with quote

Why has David Rocke offered to hire a bus to take those wanting to attend a public meeting in Llanhilleth?
Is it because of council cut backs and if so Why may I ask  When Independents were governing Blaenau Gwent and the electorate were protesting over loss of public services did he  Cllr Rocke gave us a lecture on good house keeping
We know today’s financial situation is much worse and not only in Blaenau Gwent When the Tory Lib Dems slashed funding to our Welsh Assembly  all 22 local authorities in Wales has had  to make difficult unpopular cuts  to public spending
I believe Rocke is still sulking over losing his council seat to labour and will use the public meeting (If he attends) as an opportunity to turn the public against labour  
Those who have read Rocke postings on Abertillery Forum would know about his hard feelings towards labour leader Hedley McCarthy
Rocke has been harboring  a grudge against Hedley for a number of years and I very much doubt if he remembers what angered him in the first place, A word of advice a life lived without  forgiveness is a prison
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be difficult for you these days Eddie trying to remember what surname to use when you post.Labour seem to me to be doing a very fine job of alienating the public without Rocke's help.Given that he is now a private citizen what has the housekeeping of the council got to do with him hiring a bus.Perhaps it's being held in Llanilleth to discourage those that this council is supposed to represent,turning up.Is it that Labour are afraid of people genuinely interested in this community turning up,and asking too many questions they can't give an honest answer to? or is it due the cut backs as it avoids using the official car. Always supposing this meeting is seen as important enough to turn up to that is. Laughing
Eddie legge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Are you the real Ian Jones Reply with quote

Trouble is knowing who you are Ian When Thatcher asked striking miners to go back to work surprising how many did her bidding, and surprising again how many are doing the Tory Lib Dems bidding when hiring a bus to criticize labors cost cutting measures The very financial crises Cameron and Co has inflicted on communities all
We don't have any one stupid enough to defend council cut backs with a lecture on good house keeping The very last time Rocke offered free transport a late Taxi home for Abertillery personnel who didn't have the fare to pay he was earning £20, 000 yearly from public purse plus  his wage from full time employment, and it was then a vote collecting stunt  I am given to believe he his now unemployed Why may I ask his he so keen to hire a bus other than to have support for his labour bashing antics
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this before,myself and Mr Jones may share the same first name,however we are not the same person and I have never tried to make it look as if we are.I see you are trying the old miners strike insult again,desperation setting in is it?As for myself I've never worked in the mining industry,I have however been involved in both organising and participating in many strikes during the 35 years I have worked for my current employer.Perhaps Rocke wants to give as many people as possible the opportunity to attend this meeting,if the council were interested in this happening,then they coud have organised it in a more central,more accessible venue.Or perhaps that's the point.....fewer interested parties there the better.I think however you are missing the point here,be it Labour,Tory,Lib Dem,the elected representatives of this borough are failing to do the job they were elected to do ie.represent the interests of those who live within it's boundaries.This will obviously lead to them being questioned about the relevant issues.......  Rolling Eyes
Ian Jones

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders why Mr Legge doesn't mention the fact that there is no planned meeting for the public in the north of our Valley, Blaina Nantyglo, Brynmawr very presumptuous of the council to think those people would not want to know what is going on.

20 Borough Councillors were invited by letter (which only some had the grace to reply to personally) to a meeting on the 12th Feb only one turned up.

Some suggested that they represent "their" ward and listen to "their" constituents, maybe "their" leader ought to remind them that  even the most inexperienced councillor knows the difference between ward and borough issues as he stated on this forum when  he was in opposition and the meeting of the 12th Feb was as Cllr Bartlett can confirm a meeting for borough issues.

I believe some didn't turn up because they were toeing the party line as ever.
Others because they were simply being condescending towards what they saw as a small number of people belonging to a facebook group who wanted answers from the people they elected.
There were infact ordinary members of the public in attendance and Cllr Bartlett was treated with respect, there were no scenes of unruliness only people wanting answers.

Many of these people myself included do not want to see a tory led council, we would like the one we elected to represent the people as they promised they would when seeking to gain election.

Instead of 1or 2 egotistical people at the forefront of the council  trying to play stupid games with the electorate at what may turn out to be to the detriment of the council at the next election.
Why don't those few either apologise to the electorate or let someone within their party who is more capable and people friendly take command.

Mr "Legge's" rantings were the primary reason i did not vote Labour in the last council elections and if it continues i believe many more will follow suit.

A few short months ago a facebook group was started and far from poisoning the public against Labour it gave them an opportunity to be more informed as to what is happening in Blaenau Gwent, many have indeed stated that on there.

Every single person who bothers to make themselves aware of political affairs knows that cuts are as a result of the Con/Dem Government and this process is passed down to our Borough Council to make decisions.

It is the manner in which the Council made these cuts and who would be most affected the public and council workforce (or should i say EX council workforce) are not happy with.

If this council were not pressured into holding the meetings on the 18th and 19th of Feb they certainly would not have held them, we all know the decisions have already been made so the meetings are a sham and a poor attempt at the council trying to save face.
Maybe they have learned valuable lessons from this and they will act in a more public friendly way in future "if they are in power that is"

Dr. David M. Burns 142 KDW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - Abertillery Online Discussion Forum - Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: